Yummy dessert or snack served on Mom's '60's platter
Sweet & Saltines or Grahams
Pre-heat oven to 425F
30 saltine crackers
9 graham crackers
1 ½ cups butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
½ cup chopped walnuts
- In a sided cookie sheet lined with foil (I used non-stick foil)
- Lay down one layer of saltine crackers, I used 1/3 pan of graham crackers and 2/3 pan saltines
- In a sauce pan melt the butter and brown sugar
- Bring to a boil and boil 5 minutes
- Pour equally over the crackers
- Place the cookie sheet in the oven for 5 minutes; watch it these will burn quickly if left too long.
- Once out of the oven, place the cookie sheet on a no-burn surface
- Pour the chocolate chips evenly over the entire pan, when they melt spread with a knife
- Pour the walnuts over ½ the pan
- Put in freezer for 20 minutes or until chilled all the way through
This was so good; I thought I would share the Caramel Corn recipe I got from Dorthy about 30 years ago. Again, nicely caramel and toffee flavored. If you use buttered and salted popcorn, you will get that lovely sweet and salty flavor.
Baked Caramel Corn
Pre-heat oven to 250F
1 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
½ cup light corn syrup
1 tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
6 qt popped popcorn – I use air-popped and love to make up a huge batch served with butter and salt. I use the leftovers for this recipe.
- In a 2 quart sauce pan Melt butter and add brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt.
- Bring to a boil, stirring
- Boil 5 minutes without stirring
- Remove from the heat and add vanilla and soda. It will foam
- In a 13 quart mixing bowl -
- Pour over hot popped corn (I put the popcorn on sided cookie sheets in the oven while it pre-heats)
- Mix well.
- Turn the popcorn back into the cookie sheets and return to the oven.
- Cook for 60 minutes stirring every 15 minutes; check at 30 and 45 minutes to see if the popcorn is no longer sticky. If so remove from the oven sooner
- Remove from oven and cool
- Break apart when cool.