Thursday, March 4, 2010

Recipes, Our Heritage

Nate requested I share Selene’s recipe for Cheesy Potato Soup when I wrote my Chowder Head post. I called Selene to get the full recipe; she was excited to see it published! She got the recipe from a friend’s older sister. It is rich and filling, Scott calls it ‘Heart Attack Potato Soup.’ While searching for another recipe, I found her original handwritten directions. I will save them with all our recipe boxes.

While I have pared down my recipe book collection, I did save all the handwritten recipes from my MIL and her mother. I have one of Great-Grandma Pearl’s cookbooks, with notes and recipes in her own hand. I also have a Watkins recipe book from the ‘30’s that my MIL Pat wrote in as a child. Then, there is Grandma Lee’s recipe box with recipes from her, her mom Pearl, and her daughter Pat.

 Guess I need to raid Vern’s kitchen for Mom’s old recipe box. After all, Debbie took the family Bible; which was to be mine. I am the oldest, after all. Oh like that cuts me any slack. ; )

Therein lays one of the reasons for this blog. We learn to cook by standing at our mother’s side, sharing our recipes with one another, and watching television cooking shows. Each generation gathers knowledge on how to make and serve healthful, tasty, and beautiful meals. We pass that knowledge down to the next generation by writing down our favorite recipes and hints on how to make that recipe with panache.

 Cheesy Potato Soup
8 medium potatoes, peeled and julienned
1 quart homemade chicken stock
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp garlic powder
¾ lb Velveeta, cut into cubes
1 can cream-style corn
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 can evaporated milk
  1. Put the potatoes in a Dutch oven and add the chicken stock.
  2. Boil for 5 minutes
  3. Add onion and garlic powder along with Velveeta cubes
  4. Cook on medium low until the cheese melts
  5. Add the corn, cayenne, and evaporated milk. Stir and simmer 5 minutes.
Serves 8

 To make this a one dish meal, we like to add steamed vegetables. Cauliflower, broccoli, carrots are among some of our favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment