Friday, May 7, 2010

Barbeque (Pulled) Pork Sandwiches with Coleslaw

I’m fixing BBQ Pork Sandwiches with Coleslaw tonight. I originally got the idea from Alton Brown of GOOD EATS . It has turned out to be one of our favorite leftover Pork Roast recipes. Quick and easy, it meets our requirements of grain, vegetable, and protein. It’s a little high in sodium and sugar; but we overcome that with lots of water to drink and a slice of Angel Food cake for dessert.

Besides all the family cooks, I have learned a lot from TV cooks and chefs. I really know few people who have not tuned into TV cooking shows.
 We started watching KOIN Kitchen as kids. Betty Davis, a Home Economist, used to cook meals every morning. Peggy and I were constantly bugging Mom to try her recipes. I don’t think Mom ever did; but Betty had an effect on Peggy and me. We wanted to try different flavors and dishes and expand our food choices.

After I married, I watched The Galloping Gourmet , Graham Kerr taught me knife skills, how to use a pastry scraper to gather food up and move to the skillet, and not to be afraid of big flavors.

Since Scott worked mostly swing shift, we watched cooking shows together: Justin Wilson and his Cajun Cooking, The Urban Peasant; Julia Child; Rick Bayless; Lidia's Italy are just some of the ones I remember us watching and trying recipes.

Now, practically everywhere you look, there are new chefs cooking new meals. And some are going back to those American favorites with surprisingly great results!

Like many of you, I watch Food Network; TLC; Bravo; internet blogs and shows. So many great recipes to try and only so many tummies to fill.

I try to bring you the best of my over 50 years of cooking. And I hope to bring the stories of how I got the recipe and how much it means to me.

Enjoy!

BBQ Pork Sandwiches
Pre-heat oven to 400F

In a greased covered Dutch oven:
  1. Leftover Pork Loin
  2. Bottled BBQ sauce, your favorite, to cover the meat and then a little extra
  3. Any leftover gravy or juices – in a pinch I add ½ cup water or chicken broth
  4. Bake one hour until meat is falling apart and the BBQ sauce is thick
  5. Brown whole grain hamburger buns under the broiler
  6. Serve with Coleslaw topping the BBQ Pork on the bun.
  7. Be sure to have several napkins per person, this one can be messy!

No comments:

Post a Comment