Friday, January 15, 2010

Welcome to Grandma's Kitchen! Let's Eat Ham!

I've always wanted to write a cookbook. After all, I was collecting cookbooks for nearly 40 years! So, I thought this would be a chance to share my favorite recipes and try out some new ones as well. Oh, all those cookbooks - I sold or donated all but 10 of my very favorite ones. I decided to lighten the load. My deocrating style went from cluttered to sleek and I like it so much better :).

Although there are just the two of us now, husband Scott and myself, I am used to cooking for up to six. Oh all right, I was a school cook, camp cook, and caterer. I find no problem in cooking for 100 by myself. Some of the recipes will be for 2 some for 6. I will try to remember to list servings. Just remember, unless otherwise stated, just increase or decrease for your personal situation.
One of our favorite meats is ham. I buy the butt cut because of my daughter, Selene. About 20 years ago we were doing the grocery shopping and she saw 'butt' on the ham. Well, you know the jokes. I changed from shank cut to butt cut that day. We like the texture, flavor, and ease of slicing.
Anyway, I found this one for $.99/lb with 30% off. So it became the basis for last nights' dinner:

Ham
Baked Squash
Coleslaw

Ham
Place the ham face down in the bottom of the broiling pan (I have to get a roasting pan one of these days) with 2 cups of water. Baked @ 350F 2.5 hours

Baked Squash
1 Delicata Squash - homegrown
2 tsp butter
2 tsp brown sugar
salt
pepper

Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Scrap out the innards (compost same). Place in a baking dish, smear with the butter, sprinkle the brown sugar, salt and pepper evenly over the two halves.
Bake 350F 30 minutes
2 servings

Cole Slaw
1/2 head cabbage sliced thin, or grated
1 red apple chopped into 1/2 inch pieces

Dressing
1/2 cup reduced fat mayonaise
1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
2 tsp brown sugar
2 TBSP 2% milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Whisk together and pour over the cabbage and apples. Let sit 30 - 60 minutes before serving. Stir before serving.
6 servinings

Ham Leftovers
I will break down the ham today. I usually have the ham cut in half at the store, but the saw was broken. Anyway, I will save out a nice chunk for sandwiches for the next few days. I will also cut out some more chunks for freezing. This way we'll have ham for future dinners or sandwichs.
Pieces that are too small for sandwich slices will be chopped and frozen for seasoning. I use them in eggs, salads, cheese sauce, vegetables, scalloped potatoes etc. Recipes will be forthcoming.
Finally, the hambone. I put it into a pot of water, bring to a boil, and simmer for hours. When it has given its' all, I strain the broth, add the leftover pan juices or gravy, and freeze in quart containers for soups. The bones and scraps of meat, gristle, and fat go into the garbage. They have no flavor left.

No comments:

Post a Comment